4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 pound bonelss, skinless chicken thighs (about 4)
4 frozen corn-on-the-cob pieces (cobbettes)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion, thinly sliced
1 celery stalk, thinly sliced
4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
2 medium russet potatoes (about 1 pound), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, plus wedges for serving
¼ teaspoon dried oregano
Kosher salt and black pepper
Cut up avocado, fresh cilantro sprigs and capers for serving
1. In a large saucepan or dutch oven, combine the chicken broth and 1 cup water and bring to a boil. Add the chicken and corn and simmer until the chicken is cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes.
2. Remove the chicken and corn from the saucepan and reserve.
3. Strain the cooking liquid into a large bowl or measuring cup and reserve.
4. Wipe out the saucepan and heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally until beginning to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the potatoes and the reserved cooking liquid and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the potatoes are cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes.
5. Meanwhile shred the chicken and cut the corn pieces into 1-inch thick rounds. Return the chicken and corn to the soup. Add the lime juice, oregano, ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper and cook until heated through, about 1 minute. Serve the soup with the avocado,cilantro, capers and lime wedges.