I’ve been on a quest to make heart healthy muffins. I love muffins, but most muffins are made with refined sugar. Since refined sugar contains fructose and sucrose which the body processes them as poison. These muffins remove refined sugar and add honey which contains omega 3’s and is natural. These are not overly sweet but are soft and tasty. The chocolate chips make them taste like heaven with every bite. Love muffins, but are looking for an alternative? Try these muffins. No added refined sugar but loads of taste.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup Liquid Honey
1 cup dark chocolate chips (50% coco or more)
½ teaspoon salt
¾ cup milk
1/3 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons soft butter
1 cup applesauce
3 tablespoons baking powder
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease muffin pan or use muffin cups
2. In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, dark chocolate chips and salt. Mix well.
3. In a medium bowl combine milk, oil, egg, apple sauce, liquid honey and butter, blend well.
4. Add wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir well.
5. Fill muffin tin/cups 2/3 full and sprinkle tops of muffins with brown sugar before baking.
6. Bake for 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool for 1 minute before removing from pan. Makes 16 muffins.
Return from Heart Healthy Muffins to Cardiac Diet Recipes
Return from Heart Healthy Muffins to Heart Disease Prevention home page