Start any day with these delicious wholewheat blueberry banana pancakes. Stave off dryness with a healthy dose of bananas and stave off illness with high fiber anti-oxidants. Make them every weekend and freeze the left overs to have as a quick healthy breakfast as you run out the door. Moist and filling not to mention mouthwatering. I'm usually full after having 3 pancakes and it keeps me satisfied for hours. Salt is added but only a pinch to help the baking powder make these magnificent pancakes rise to any occasion. Light and fluffy and full of flavor these pancakes are sure to please!
4 Egg whites
1 1/2 cups Wholewheat flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
2 tablespoons all bran cereal
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon sea salt or regular salt
1 cup blueberries Fresh or Frozen
1 cup 1% low fat milk or soy milk
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 ripe bananas
1. In a mixing bowl, whisk egg whites until they are white, fluffy and hold their shape. set aside.
2. In a blender, add rolled oats and all bran buds, blend on high until well mixed and almost powdery. Doing this step takes out the grittiness in the pancakes.
3. In a small bowl mash the ripe bananas
4. In a separate large mixing bowl, combine flour, rolled oats and all bran concoction,baking powder, salt, blueberries and bananas
5. Add Milk and vanilla, mix until just combined. Do not over mix
6. Gently fold in egg whites into batter, mix until just combined.
Heat oil in a skillet on medium heat. To make sure it is hot enough sprinkle small amount of water in pan, if it sizzles then the pan is hot enough. For each pancake, use a ladle or about 1/2 cup of batter in the preheated skillet.
For Perfect pancakes: Watch the sides of the pancakes when it changes color or firms up at about half way, flip the pancake over and keep track how long the first side took to cook and cook for the same amount on the second side.
For added variety: Omit the blueberries and just use bananas. Feeling really adventurous use 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips.
Return from Wholewheat Blueberry Banana Pancakes to Cardiac Diet recipes
Return from Wholewheat Blueberry Banana Pancakes to Heart Disease Prevention home page