2 pounds ground turkey
2 tablespoons whole wheat bread crumbs
2 tablespoons sliced almonds
2 cloves minced garlic
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon Garam Masala
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons plain low fat yogurt
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 roasted red pepper
1 tablespoon Extra virgin olive oil
1. Preheat oven to broil on high. Coat whole red pepper with olive oil. place in preheated oven until starting to turn black then turn over until starting to turn black on the other side. Remove from oven. Once cool enough to handle remove stem and seeds. Set aside. approx. 15 mins.
2. preheat skillet on medium heat. Saute Garlic and almonds until turned golden brown. Place red pepper, garlic, almonds in food processor and finely chop. set aside.
3. In a non-reactive bowl combine ground turkey, bread crumbs, red pepper mixture, yogurt, ginger, garam masala, ginger, lemon juice and cilantro mix thoroughly with clean damp hands or spatula
4. Shape mixture into a ball and divide into six equal pieces. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
5. Preheat grill or skillet on medium heat. Since mixture has little to no fat it is important to prepare the grill or skillet with a little olive oil.
6. Once grill is hot, remove mixture from refrigerator and form into patties with damp hands approximately 3/4" thick or as desired.
7. Cook patties until they look like they are cooked halfway up the side and flip over patty. Burger is done when surface is slightly cracked and juices start to rise to the top. Approx 5 mins. for each side.
Return from Turkey Burger to Cardiac Diet Recipes
Return from Turkey Burger to Heart Disease Prevention home page